Warning!!!!!! Flashing Lights
2CELLOS – Vivaldi – ‘Storm’
The Beatles: A Musical Appreciation and Analysis:
PARIS – April 15th, 2019
Although the 7,900 organ pipes of the Des Grande Orgue du Notre Dame de Paris (Cavaille-Coll -1868) survived the fire largely unscathed (some pipes date back to the 15thc.), the organ is still in need of extensive restoration. Recordings made before the fire:
Bach: Sinfonia, Cantata BWV 29
Bach:Agnus Dei, Mass in B minor
Charles-Marie Widor –Toccata (1879):
Julliard Historical Performance Program
A Day in the Life:
‘Baroque’ as a Second Language:
Julliard 415 -Terpsichore with Historical Performance and Dance:
Alana Youssefian, baroque violin, is an recent alumna of the Julliard Historical Performance Program:
Vivaldi – Violin Concerto, RV 212
La Follia – Improvisation:
Bach – Partita No. 3 in E Major, BWV 1006:
Vitorio Monti – Czardis
- In what way(s) did the late 19thc. Pleyel harpsichord differ from an original 17thc/18thc harpsichord?
- Name two of the early 20thc. pioneers of harpsichord performance.
- What is a Zuckermann ‘Z box’?
- Choose one of the 4 contemporary pieces for harpsichord listed in BEEP 21. Describe the piece, and offer a critique – likes/dislikes/reasons.
- A baroque keyboard instrument can be tuned to a number of different ‘temperaments’ e.g, ‘Werkmeister’, or Valotti’. What are the advantages/disadvantages compared to using ‘equal temperament’?
- Describe one example of the traditional European folk instruments listed in BEEP 22.
- Describe one example of the non-European string instruments listed in BEEP 23.
- Describe each of the ‘Four Humours’ described by the Greek physician, Galen c. 200 AD.
- What were willow leaves and bark used for in traditional medicine in the baroque era (and during the previous 2000 years)? What is the chemical substance in willow, and other genus Salix trees & shrubs, that in a synthesized form was used to make a well known and effective medication named …………………………….. in 1899? This medication is on the World Health Organization’s (WHO) List of Essential Medicines.
- Summarize the Evolution of the Violin Bow, 1540-2019. e.g. shape, makers, materials, hair tension, bow-hold etc.