- Viola d’ Amore
- Vivaldi – Viola d’ Amore Concerto RV 394:
QUIZ DUE FRIDAY MARCH 8th
- In a review of the première of Rameau’s opera ‘Hippolyte et Aricie’ in 1733, a critic writing in Mercure de France, complained that the opera “…lacked coherent melody, was unsparing with dissonances, constantly changed key and meter, and speedily ran through every compositional device”. The term he used to disparage Rameau’s opera is described in the contemporary ‘Urban Dictionary’ as: “anything amazingly cool, so cool that indeed no other word will do- it overwhelms the senses in its awesomeness”
- What is the term, and what does it now most usually describe?
- Syntagma Musicum is a treatise by which German composer? Volume II contains woodcuts of families of musical instruments. He is best known for Terpsichore, a collection of over 300 instrumental dances.
- Which composer did Bach visit in Lübeck in 1705? What was the purpose of Bach’s visit?
- What was the purpose of Biber’s use of Scordatura?
- What other innovative instrumental techniques did he use?
- Pachelbel’s most well known composition is Kanon und Gigue für 3 Violinen mit generalbasse. Describe a musical ‘canon.’
- Bach did not compose any operas. Which of his compositions is written in an operatic style, and what is the subject of the work?
- In 1741 Bach composed: Clavier Ubung bestehend in einer ARIA mit verschiedenen Verænderungen vors Clavicimbal mit 2 Manualen, named for which fellow composer and harpsichordist?
- Why did Bach compose the 6 Brandenburg Concertos, and when were they first published?
- Which composer is considered to be the most prolific in the baroque, or any other era?
- Which composer & flute maker at the Berlin court of Frederick (the Great), King of Prussia wrote the treatise: Versuch einer Anweisung die Flöte traversiere zu spielen?
- Spanish composer Martín y Coll’s 4 volume collection named: Flores de Musica contains………………………..?
- Baroque music in Nueva España and Brasil Colonial was frequently a fusion of………………………….and …………………………………..?
- Describe the musical form: Folias de España
- Name and describe the musical instrument, made by the Flemish maker Hans Ruckers in 1581, which was discovered in a hacienda chapel in Cuzco, Peru in the early 20th century. What is the current location of the instrument?